Saturday, March 8, 2014

Brazil-bound and grateful

I'm brushing off the travel blog once again. It would appear that everything is in order for us to depart for Brazil tomorrow. And we can't wait. Being able to pack our bags up and head to the place that still is like a second home to me feels like such a gift.

We originally anticipated this day to happen five weeks ago... but rather than spending the day packing before our original departure date of February 2, we spent that particular Saturday coming home from the hospital as we waited for Jachin's body to recovery from surgery. We learned a thing or two that week about root canals, abscesses, breathing tubes, the importance of clear airways, and the benefits of having good humor after our four day stint in the hospital. During Jachin's unplanned surgery (on the abscess that developed in his neck following an extremely routine root canal), the surgeons actually listened to Brazilian music in support of our hopes to make it south. So I'd like to think that they'd celebrate with us today if given the opportunity - Jachin's recovery has gone very well and we are very ready to boogie to Brazil.

So we celebrate that although this was five weeks ago:

...you would never guess it as he packs today:

Tomorrow we're off. We leave MSP tomorrow afternoon and fly overnight from Detroit to Sao Paulo. We'll get one night in Sao Paulo before we take off for Salvador (where I studied abroad in college). After a bit of quality time in Salvador, we'll hit Rio de Janeiro for a few days (we'll of course hum The Girl From Ipanema as we walk Ipanema beach). And then we're back in Sao Paulo (where I lived for a year after college) for a strong finish to the adventure. We've only got two weeks in Brazil to pack as much meaningful fun in as we can... but we're prepared to make the most of it.

Jachin's never been to Brazil. I thought about making a trip to Brazil a heavily weighted prerequisite before marriage... yet that somehow slipped my mind the night that he proposed. But here are just a few (of many) things I am really looking forward to finally getting to share with Jachin (mostly listed in no particular order)...
  1. Dear friends. Jachin has heard a lot about friends in Brazil, so it'll be very fun to finally make those connections. While I'm regretfully challenged when it comes to maintaining contact from MN, these friends remain dear to me in a very special way. The two substantial amounts of time that I spent in Brazil (study abroad and campus ministry internship) were incredibly transformative experiences... and by in large it was the the friendships that made the experiences so meaningful. I continue to be grateful for each of them. While we won't be able to see everyone I would like to, I can't wait to see those we can.
     
  2. Brazilian concept of time. I realize that vacation in general makes for a very different rhythm of life, but I look forward to the glimpses of a different pace of life that we'll get to experience. It'll be particularly interesting because Salvador, Rio and Sao Paulo each have their own take on pace. But in general I continue to remain forever grateful for what I learned in Brazil in regards to prioritizing relationships over tasks... and if you structure you're day around that, it sure does look different or might not go quite as planned.
     
  3. Calvario Church. This church community represents a turning point for me in terms of how I valued church. Community comes in many forms and I'm grateful for the different ways in which I can experience God and friendships that encourage me to seek after God. But it was at Calvario that I learned to appreciate and cherish the diversity of experiences that come together within a church community. It's a gem of an authentic community.
     
  4. Cheese. Or most specifically it's "queijo na brasa" or "quiejo coalho" is pretty much the most amazing cheese ever. It's probably the Brazilian food that I talk about the most. It looks like a stick of butter on a wood skewer, but it tastes like amazing cheesy goodness. The photo on Wikipedia looks awful, but it still serves as a reference point. I look forward to sitting on the beach in Salvador with Jachin, waiting for the cheese vendor to walk by, a plastic tub of cheese in one hand and a coffee can of hot charcoal briquettes in the other. Seriously. Some freshly roasted cheese, with a cold Coke, on a sunny beach, with Jachin. Can't wait.
     
  5. A day at the beach. But while we're on the topic of beaches... there's more to look forward to. Jachin and I did a bit of beach time in Colombia, but we didn't really have enough time for him to get the full experience. It's about arriving in the morning to get a good spot, renting some reclining chairs and an umbrella, and settling in for some quality time. A book. Some napping. Some swimming. Lunch from a food vendor... perhaps fresh fish or fresh crab with a cold Coke or beer. We'll eat right under our sun umbrella. Then there's the other food that will wander by throughout the day... the cheese, fruit, popsicles, acai, passion fruit juice, etc. And it's all so good. But it can't be rushed. It's simply to be enjoyed.
     
  6. Meat. More about food, because it's just that good. Jachin and I have been to the two Brazilian steak houses that are in the Twin Cities... but it'll be great fun to get to be in Brazil and enjoy a wider spread of options. I'm especially looking forward to eating picanha at a restaurant in Sao Paulo... they'll drop a cast iron grill right in the middle of the table so we can continue to cook the beef and the onions... which will be great, because Jachin eats meat much rawer than I do.
     
  7. The view from Edificio Italia. Sao Paulo is an absolutely incredible city. And it's sheer scope is a little unimaginable. So I look forward to going up to the top story of Edificio Italia (Italy Building). There's a restaurant up there, so we'll get a drink of some fresh pao de queijo while we take in the view. And the view reeeeeally is incredible. During the year that I live there, Sao Paulo was a very overwhelming city initially... but it was the place that I fell in love with the city, it's potential, it's diversity, it's influence, it's magnitude. I hope it's a clear day when I go.:)
     
  8. The monkeys at Pao de Acucar. If I remember correctly, the little monkeys are called micos. I think they're this kind, but someone correct me if I'm wrong. But Rio usually makes the list of most beautiful cities in the world. So I can't wait to gawk at the city and the small monkeys from Pao de Acucar (Sugarloaf Mountain).
     
  9. Sushi in Liberdade. I've tried to not make this list all about food... but let's get back to it. Liberdade (which means liberty) is the Japan Town of Sao Paulo. And it's where I learned to really enjoy and appreciate sushi. A lot of the restaurants have those private rooms with sliding doors, where you slip your shoes off, step up onto a platform, and fit on that platform at the table to eat. And it'll just be fun to share it with Jachin.
So much more to say... but enough said for now. Back to packing.

No comments:

Post a Comment